Originally this building was known as the “Additional Female Ward”. It was changed later on to “Women’s E, F and G Wards” and in 1982, after closure some years previously of the top 2 floors, to “The Elms”.
It is classified with National Trust and on Register of State Heritage Items.
The ground floor closed in February 1985 as a ward for elderly men with the opening of the Cedars. The first floor has been used as a Domestic training unit since 1982 and the ground floor for Music Therapy since 1989.
Built by: R. HUCKSON and Company
Age: Building contract signed on 6th July, 1880.
Building Materials: The “best hard Glen Osmond stone”.
Additions: Dining Room to eastern end in 1954 by FRICKER Brothers. Bathroom and toilet annex by J. GROVE and Son Ltd. in 1959. An aluminium sheet cladded structure.
Addition costs : £32,870
To see more images for The Elms Building please click here.